Translate

Monday, March 20, 2006

Not-A-Shawl Socks

I'm calling these the "Not-A-Shawl" Socks because I made them with the Fleece Artist Merino yarn that I bought intending to make the Diamond Fantasy Shawl. The yarn was beautiful, I loved the colors, but it just did not want to become a shawl. It insisted on being knit into socks. Nice, soft, wonderfully fitting and colorful socks, but definitely not a shawl.

Image hosting by Photobucket

I used a "figure 8 cast on" and knit these toe-up using the heel instructions from "Basic Toe-To-Cuff Sock" by Jackie of Heart Strings Fiber Arts. I've always used a Peasant Heel because it's simpler and works especially well with self-patterning yarns (prevents the self patterning yarn's striping sequence from being broken by the heel shaping), but I do believe this traditional turned heel fits better.

The shawl/scarf is coming along nicely in the alternate yarn, a black baby boucle of unknown fiber content.

3 comments:

aija said...

Very nice! You were right, they were meant to be socks :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love these socks, and the yarn color is simply amazing - you were absolutely right, this obviously yelled out to become socks!
Have fun knitting, and best wishes from Austria!

Elspeth said...

So beautiful! I want Fleece Artist yarn too!