Translate

Monday, August 28, 2006

Sweaty Gator' Cozy

A little something I whipped up on one of my numerous road trips this summer.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yarn handspun from English Wool Top


I work out five days a week at a local gym. I work HARD for an extended period of time and get very thirsty. If I hopped off the elliptical cross trainer and ran to the fountain every time I needed a sip of water not much exercise would be accomplished. To avoid that I carry a water bottle. I like my water COLD, with ice. Icy water bottles sweat. Sweaty water bottles make a mess of gym equipment, training gloves, and car seats. An absorbent bottle cover prevents all that.

My preferred type of water bottle happens to be the bottle Gatorade comes in. It fits the holders on the gym equipment, holds 750ml, and I like the twist-open top. This style of top is easier to drink from than those pop-up sport bottle tops, not as easily dumped as a totally open topped bottle (not to mention the hassle of losing the lid from open bottles). Hence the title for this new design:

Free Pattern
Sweaty Gator' Cozy
(will fit any water bottle)
Using an absorbent yarn (cotton or wool works great) of any medium weight (sport to worsted weights suggested), and a crochet hook that works well with your weight of yarn (I used worsted weight and a 4.5mm hook):
  • Chain 3. Join with a slip stitch to form a ring.
  • 10 single crochet (SC) in ring. Do NOT join at end of round.
  • 2 SC in each stitch of first round then
  • Continue spiraling around, 1 SC in each stitch below, adding in additional SC wherever needed to keep work laying flat.
  • When your circle is the same size as the bottom of your water bottle, continue around, 1 SC in each stitch of the previous round and your work will begin to form the vertical sides.
  • Continue upward until your work covers most of your water bottle. If you have an especially curvy bottle you may have to shape the piece a little by adding or deleting a few stitches in those areas.
  • Finish by slip stitching in the next 2 stitches, ending off, and sewing in ends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely amazing, and it definitely comes in very handy while doing sports or at the fitness studio like you mentioned. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern, I'll make sure to try my hands at it too!

Lorraine said...

How clever! I'll have to whip some up for myself and the family. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

Hockey Mom said...

Oh. you. Rock! Thanks for sharing this. I can have some fun with this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern. I always freeze my bottle half full on a slant and it sure does sweat.
Gillian

Anonymous said...

I use a sock...but I must admit, yours looks much nicer.