Translate

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Stash Busting

As if I didn't have enough projects on the go! I'm next in line to use the guild loom for a Stash Busting Rug (aka "Twice Woven Rug"). I'm not a big stash hoarder so it's difficult for me to gather enough yarn up to do any sort of colour scheme.


This represents about half of my total stash. For the most part it's bits and pieces of leftovers from old projects, although there is a fair bit of handspun in there (wool that is too scratchy or in too short of supply to do much with). I think I'll go with a "lights, dull/darks, brights" division of the yarn. Hopefully it won't come off as too hideous in the final rug. With this type of rug it is really hard to guess what the end result will be.
Curious? Take a peek at my last one. ---> 1 2 3 4 5
The remainder of my stash is a bit of laceweight, enough handspun in large enough amounts for a few warm vests, and a basket of complete balls of sock yarn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wow. Wow, wow, wow. I think I need to try making one of these puppies!! Though I don't have a four-harness loom yet. (Yet! Hah!!). I'm wondering if it's possible to adapt the method to work on my rigid heddle loom; I see how the initial rug is woven (I think), but I'm not sure that I could get the pairs of warp threads close enough to hold it really steady. There aren't any more detailed online instructions for one of these beasts, are there?? (P.S. because blogger doesn't like me signing in with my Typepad ID, I can also tell you that my email addy is chinnilass at yahoo dot com...)

Marlene said...

I'm glad you like the rug Alison. To be honest I don't think this would work with a rigid heddle loom. Both the weaving of the chenille part and also the weaving of the chenille into the actual rug are done with a VERY heavy beat. It has to be beaten really hard or, when you cut the strips, you would just lose the little bits of yarn everywhere.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow you have such a way with color and texture I can't wait to see what comes out of that stash! :)