Translate

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Fibres West 2015

Friday was my day to attend Fibres West in Cloverdale, BC. 

FibresWest
If you are interested you can click the photo to enlarge it.

If you aren't a "fibre type", it might not seem like much, but each of those booths is jam packed full of fibre goodness that I don't normally have easy access to. I tend to stock up, binge style, once or twice a year.

FibresWest

I could spend hours shopping at such an event, while the whole idea of a day spent browsing fibre arts related booths could bring my husband to tears I think. Loving man that he is though, he drove me down, uncomplaining, only to return a few hours later when I texted to let him know that I had had enough (or had spent enough --- which is the same thing in my books.)

This is the haul I came home with. 10 different colourways of beautiful roving dyed by the folks at the HummingBeeFarms booth, and a large cone of black mercerized 2/8 cotton. It will all eventually make its way into my weaving projects.

FibresWest haul

I wasn't home long before I was trying it out!

Loosely spun thick n thin single

The vendor at HummingBeeFarms booth had some lovely skeins of Thick'n'Thin yarn for sale. She was good enough to explain her technique to me so that I could go home with an armload of her beautiful hand dyed skeins to give the technique a whirl.

Merino plied with viscose thread.

I'm not there yet, hers was more uniformly plied than mine. But I've discussed the issue with a few kind forum members and I have some ideas to try to see if I can't get something closer to what I had been shown in the booth. Don't get me wrong, I DO like this skein, I just think I can do better.

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

I am curious about how that thick and thin is done also. I love the bright colors in the rovings. Do they have an online store?

Marlene said...

Here you go Gene.
http://www.hummingbeefarm.webs.com/

This is a technique I can't begin to explain in writing. It's is something best shown. Perhaps a YouTube video?

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Those colors are fantastic!

Marlene said...

Thanks Ruinwen. The colours presented in this particular booth were a delight.